Friday 15 August 2014

Android (Kitkat Sony Xperia Z2) Calendar sync, what a mess…


Rant/Cry for help time. Maybe the answer is out there, but I can’t find it, and it’s not for lack of trying. Problem, I noticed that the calendar wasn’t syncing, no not with Outlook, I know those nice folk at Google turned that off, but with, wait for it, Google’s on-line calendar, the one that come with Gmail.

Fantastic, I have a bunch of medical appointments for some poorly relatives to manage, and Android strikes again. This is why I recently posted a comment, prior to buying the Sony Xperia Z2, lovely hardware, shame it’s got that crapy Android on it, or words to that effect.

So I dig around and find the problem, there’s a ‘Device Calendar’, showing up as “SYNCML-ORPHANED”, the latter part of that seems to indicate that this is not how it should be, ‘ORPHANED’ is hardly a calendar name one would use for something that works.

 


So I Google ‘phone calendar "syncml-orphaned"’ and end up at:-


Which sends me to an idiots guide, is it in Airplane mode? Is sync on?

Grief.

I couldn’t change the calendar, from ‘Device Calendar’ (the ORPHANED one) on the events I had put in, so I had to enter them all manually on my desktop to my own calendar. Worse still I can’t disable the “SYNCML-ORPHANED” device calendar, I can’t even make my calendar the default for adding new events.

 

Yes I killed both calendar related process, deleted their data, re-synced, but it just doesn’t make a difference. So now I have to remember to change calendar every time I add an event. Maybe there’s some deep setting buried somewhere, but I can’t find it. However adding a few appointments has now resulted in the default becoming my Gmail account. So at least it now all 'works', I'll just ignore the Device Calendar.

10 comments:

  1. same problem, xperia zr. seems to be an issue with xperias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same problem here too. Also Sony Xperia. Z3 Compact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same issue... Outlook calendar is showing up as syncml orphaned. Tried everything but no luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same issue... Outlook calendar is showing up as syncml orphaned. Tried everything but no luck

    ReplyDelete